Cast of Characters
And I do mean characters!
Here’s a recent card with everyone’s pic:
Pictured top left to right: Baby (African Grey), The Cave Geek, The Farmer, Rural Writer, Keira the llama, and Neffie the Maremma Sheep Dog
Middle: Cinnamon the goat, and Toby the Farm Collie
Bottom: Spot the Cat, our 3 Shetland sheep retired ewes (Valrhona, Coconut & Papaya), and a bunch of chickens, guineas & peacocks!
More Info About . . .
Those Living in the house here on the farm:
The Farmer: Patriarch of the clan. Retired from one long-time job as a construction estimator (roads, paving, subdivision streets sort of thing, NOT houses). Went back to work as a consultant weekdays, while still farming on weekends.
Rural Writer: Keeper of the farm and home, writer and photo buff. Has to work in short spurts due to chronic pain (thoracic neuralgia) and fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue.
Cave Geek: Youngest Son, presently living in the basement, and known computer nerd (thus Cave Geek). Working at Domino’s Pizza, keeper of Wargamer Haven.
Baby: African Grey Parrot, female. With the brains of a 5-year old and the emotions of a 2-year old, she keeps life interesting! Loves to tell you “Bye-bye, see ya later” as you go out the door.
The Rest of The Farm Critters:
Cat – Spot: male. Trails around after the humans like a dog. Flops over frequently hoping for tummy rubs.
Chickens – A changing roster of roosters (Silver Laced Crested Polish and Silcian Buttercup mixes), plus several Buff Orpingtons hens, and lots of mixed breed hens.
Dog – Toby: American Farm Collie, male. Carrier of sticks, and pro at “marking” grass, shrubs and trees..
Goat – Cinnamon: Pygmy goat, doe. Retired from raising kids, but still thinks she’s Boss Mama.
Guineas Galore: The count varies, but we have lots of guinea fowl running around on the farm!
Llama – Keira: Llama, female. Sweetness itself except when she’s pregnant. Nice black wool.
Peafowl: 1 peacocks (male) and 3 peahens (females).
- Coconut: Shetland sheep, ewe. White fleece. Matriarch of our flock of retired sheep, aka “Miss Piggy” due to her insatiable appetite for grain and treats.
- Papaya: Shetland Sheep, ewe. Black fleece. A little whacky. Okay, a whole lot whacky. Also poor sight due to medical problems from last pregnancy.
- Valrhona: Shetland Sheep, ewe. Musket (light brown) fleece. The only ewe we have with horns. Very photogenic.
- Two Bourbon Red Turkeys, one tom and one hen
- Three Wild Turkeys, two toms and one hen